Updated 04/10/2011
Click on Photos to Enlarge

Steve with Lion

Steve with Lion

Steve with Lion

Steve with Lion

Steve with Leopard

Steve with Leopard

Steve with Tiger Fish

Steve with Tiger Fish

Steve Paulson

      Kumbada,  The Sly One,

     was the Shona  name given to the lion that lived half way between Bulawayo and Harare, Zimbabwe in the year from 2005-2011 Our name for this cat was the ghost of Kwekwe.  The City cat, The super Predator, would turn out to be the ultimate challenge.


     Simba is the local name for all Lions. I caught what my wife called Lion fever on a Leopard hunt that I had set up with touch Africa Safaris and Trevor Lake from Lake Safariís in Durban South Africa through a booking agent in Washington State named Terry Wagner.   I had the privilege and honor of having my two youngest boys Jacob and Jonathan with me and Jonís friend Clair on the leopard hunt in central Zimbabwe starting in April 11th and with a return trip to Portland on May 2 nd,  which turned out to be the first leg of the hunt..  Trevor Lake has been my hunting partner, outfitter, scout and dear friend for 16 years and has accompanied me on every African adventure in since the mid 1990ís.  This hunt turned out to be the hunt of a lifetime.  Maybe two lifetimes.


     The leopard hunt was a classic hunt. We had an idea that there was a big leopard hanging out in this area. A hunter from a year ago reported that he had seen a good track. The ranch we were on is part of what is the Midland Black Rhino Conservancy.  There was at one time about 30 black rhino in area that is about 80 miles by 60 miles. The ranches and the government got together and formed the conservancy and hired an anti-poaching team and a guy that is a manger, game scout, biologist, and basic overseer of the property. The Chinica ranch was one of about 6 ranches in this coalition. We were successful getting a 6-7 year old mature male leopard on the sixth day of the hunt.  Many times leopards are quite elusive and I have heard stories of guys hunting leopards for 90 days before getting one so I considered the adventure a success after the first six days. On about day 4 we saw a Lion track on a dirt road about 10 miles from Camp. I had heard stories about this cat a year ago when the idea of hunting leopards was being talked about.   We returned to camp that night and Ken and Sandy, the owners of Chinica ranch . told us stories of this elusive cat and the reputation he had earned of his lifetime. The next night it was decided that we should have a go of it and try where all the other PHís had failed and try to get the Lion.


     No one really knew where this cat came from. He sounded like he was 7-8 years old at least. The closest Lion country was about 200 miles away and it was certainly possible that he was kicked out of a pride as a young male a long time ago and just walked across the country until he found a new territory he could call his own  


     We hunted the lion for a total of 14 days after the leopard.  That included days used to find large speakers (the kind used at Rock Concerts) , a 2400 watt amplifier (for the back of a pickup truck), a cd with Lion calls and hyena calls( that son Jon made using the internet) . It also included a day at Alan Austinís ranch to get lion scent and scat and to scout the area to make sure all the locals new we were hunting cat that had been terrorizing the villages. This cat was as much of a city cat as they get. He had been hunted hard for 3-5 years and there was a PH in the area that was going to try it again with a new client if we failed. 


     After the first 7 days of hunting this cat the animal became kind of bigger than life. He was the smartest animal I have ever had the privilege to hunt. I decided that the only chance we had was to get some good night vision equipment. I purchased an ATN ps22 night vision scope that attaches to the end of any rifle scope. The night vision has an illuminator infrared light that mounts on top of the night vision for low light conditions that light up any warm bodies nicely. The scope did a great job,  it just wasnít good enough for this cat. I was using a Mauser rifle built with a 375 H &H barrel and 300 grain swift frame bullets with a Swarovski 2x8 scope.   One major advantage we had with this Lion was that he had not been around other cats his whole life. This was not lion country. There were too many people and no other lions within 150 miles that we knew of.  I am not sure he knew what other lions were like or how to act around other lions..


     The trip could have started better. I lost the key to the lock a on the gun case outside the Seattle airport. Somehow it ended up in a pocket in the back seat of Kariís car but we could not find it at the time with one hour to go before the flight.  We needed to go to Lowes, buy a lock cutter to cut the locks on the case,  and then buy 2 more locks to get through the TSA people with a rifle.  After all this, the jet blue people said my bag was not on the plane that I was on that landed in New York.  The bag did not show up on the baggage transfer data to South African Airlines. I was sending emails and panic messages that I would need shells and another rifle for the hunt. Midway through the flight somewhere over the Atlantic  the pilot came back to my seat and told me he thought there was a 50-50 chance by bags where on the plane and they would be in baggage claim when we landed. It apparently happened all the time that the scanners did not work. That could have become a big issue but fortunately the bag showed up in Jo- berg . I had the expensive night vision and extra scopes and binos in a carryon bag. The airlines pay 400 dollars if they manage to lose a bag and that doesnít come close to the cost of expensive glass scopes and lenses so they go in my carryon all the time.


     The most memorable part of the first adventure of this lion was the night we decided that that we could get him by borrowing a cow from Chinica ranch. We had promised Sandy that if she loaned us a cow that the animal would be safe. Jonathan, Jacob and I sat in a tree blind 30 yards from the cow tied with a short rope to a tree. We all agreed that if we cut down all the grass within 40 yards of the cow that the lion could never get to the cow with three of us with high powered rifles in the blind and a person in a truck with an automatic shotgun with double oo buck. The lion would be down before the cow was ever hurt. I am still not sure how it happened but the lion crossed the 40 yards, killed the cow with one bite to the brain, we turned on the spot lights and in ľ second the lion was in the brush. He even returned a second time for Ĺ second and no one could get a good shot. The lion was just to fast.      


      Below is a day by day record of my notes on the hunt on the return trip .


  Africa June 17  2011 Friday


Day One

      The game plan on day 1 worked perfectly. We were going to locate the lion by calling along the Piscotte road as soon as it was dark. We spent the morning looking for sign, tracks scat, or any other indication the lion was still alive. Another PH had threatened to hunt the cat in our 1 month absence and we had to make sure the lion was still with us. We arrived at the road about 7:30 PM and called for about 30 minutes without a response and moved down the  road about 1 mile. We called again without a response.  I was feeling a little rejected. The third call was made about 1 1/2 hours after we started. The game plan was to call every half hour until we found him.  The trackers and game scouts Peter and Philemon said they heard the lion answer us way off in the distance during the fifth call. We were about 4 miles from the area we though he was hanging out at.  I thought I heard a faint roar but it must have been at 5 to 6 miles away. As it turned out, in true form the lion was running at us after the fifth call.


     We called for about 1/2 hour driving up the Piscotte road. And finally at the junction of Sandyís ranch road or the Chinica ranch we stopped to call again and the lion answered us from about 60 yards. The night vision was all set up and ready to go but the lion smelled a rat, and never would show himself. I could see the eyes on my dog with the illuminator at 200 yards but could not see the lion at 30 yards. He must have been behind brush with his eyes closed.  We heard the lion 5 times tonight and he followed the truck even though he was not real vocal all night. We quit about 1 o'clock in the morning for a Jack Daniels break and decided to leave the lion for tomorrow night. He is not acting like he was when we left him a month ago. Maybe he has figured out that the truck with the huge lion sound and scent coming out of it is not the threat to him that he thought we were 30 days ago.  Our goal in the chase tonight was to get him to follow the truck with the lion call and lion scat and see if we could get him to walk past one of our blinds that we built on our prior trip. The night vision works perfectly; the moon is two days past being a full moon. The moon came up around 8 pm tonight and would rise about an hour later each day we hunted. The only issue we had with the night vision is that you cannot look directly at the moon. It is way too bright and the only way I have a chance seeing anything pointing in the general direction of the moon is to have the rifle way inside the blind. It was kind of like standing in a room 5 feet from a window with a rifle instead of putting the rifle out a window.   


      We sighted in the night vision tonight before we went out; the first shot was 1/2 inch high at 30 yards the distance between the blind and the road where we expected the lion to walk by a cow tied to a tree.

The second through 6 shot was taken to get the rifle to shoot dead on at 30 yards . The last group was, within 1/2 inch and would do just fine for the blind Trevor and 4 other local team members built between 9 and noon today.  The place and setting is perfect. If the lion walks down the road past the blind at 30 yards he is toast. We Had him walk the road past the blind twice the last day we were here a month ago. The plan should work.


     The lion is too smart. He doesnít do bait as every time he has eaten anything he has not killed in the last 4 years he gets a stomach ache from poison.  He doesnít like light as ever time he saw  a light in the past four years, he heard a load sound and gets stung with a bullet. He has become 100% nocturnal, doesnít like other male lions in his territory and he really is the king of the jungle. He has no fear. Basically he is  the ultimate predator with eyes and ears that are as good as any animal on earth. He will come within 50 yards of the truck but will never show himself. There have been  8 guys in the truck and he has been within 30 yards and no one can see him.  A few times we have seen tracks within ten yards of the truck when we were all dosing. They say that a coyote can tell within one degree where a sound comes from a mile away. I have heard this cat at 5 miles and the next time I hear or see him he is within 50 yards of me. I did not think that was possible. I promise myself that I will never under estimate this cat. The lion always seems to have the ability to guess our next moves and come out ahead of us.


      I was instructed by the camp staff that we needed to get a food impala (young male) today but it wasnít going to happen. Saw lots of Impala  but never got a shot at a young ram. We might turn into vegetarians at this rate.


     Saturday daylight was spent looking for tracks, and getting familiar with the lions new habits. We talked  to locals and trying to figure out any changes in the lionís behavior. He just doesnít seem to be a threatened  as he was earlier.


     We saw zebra, kudos, impala, eland, and a few duikers today.  There were just no eligible animals for the pot today.


     Sunday afternoon. The day is set.  We spent the morning looking at Lion tracks trying to pattern the ghost of Kwekwe.  For some reason he did not walk the roads as much as the last time we hunted for him. I think he is following us but he is keeping off the roads where he can. I donít like this development. The big weakness in this beast  has is that he walks,  runs,  and trots after the vehicle that he thinks is another big Lion trying to take over is territory.  We called him last night starting at 8 pm. had him run about 7 total miles after the truck but as it turns out he did not leave the brush more than 3 times to cross the road. He must have been running through the brush and tall grass all night. We have one  blind built covered with grass and brush and have cleared out all the grass within 40 yards of the blind and road. All we have to do is to get him to follow the truck and walk down the road. The shot will be at about 28 yards. Our host Ken told us to take a live cow for the hunt. He figured that the Lion would kill all his cattle before it was over so we might just as soon take one now for the good of the herd.. The plan is to tie a cow to a tree alongside the road with loud bells on it. Last time the lion laid down in the road and scared the cow half to death bur never touched it. The cow will be on the other side of the road than the blind. The game plan is that the lion will at least be distracted enough by the cow that he might not see the infra-red light on top of the night vision scope  If the moon comes out and raises  at 9 pm tonight with no clouds, the night vision should light up the area like it is day light. Before the moon rises, it is quite dark and the scope looks grainy and faint even with the illuminator. Not sure how our young men fight a war with this stuff.   You could still shoot at the beast and might be able to see the outline of his body. When it is that dark the infra-red is needed. When you turn it on it lights up the whole area and if there is any warm body or eyes open it is like shining a spot light on it.  The illuminator has a dull red glow to it and a lion would see it if he looked straight at it. This cat learns fast and I do not want to take a chance that he sees the red glow of the infra-red. When we were in the blind there is a small green light that is on the back of the illuminator to show that it is on. The problem was that that small green light lit up my face when it was pitch dark and I think the lion could have seen me. We put a sock over the illuminator with the idea I would take it off a second before I fired.  All I need is one shot and the lion to stand still for at least 2 seconds. I just do not want to wound the critter or someone might get hurt. The plan is that if I shoot once and the lion is not laying there dead we are going to hire a guy with dogs to find him. That should not happen but is a backup plan.


     If the cow blind doesnít work will are going to try building blind at a couple places where you can see 1/2 mile down a straight dirt road and try to get the cat running the roads again like he did on the last hunt.

     We did spend an hour dragging trees behind the truck to clean all the tracks off the roads within 5 miles of the blind so we have a chance to quickly see if the lion has walked the road behind the truck tonight. There are thousands of animal tracks of every kind in the road. We are still having an ongoing debate about the loudness of the lion call. I think that we need to play it as load as we can until the lion gets located and answers us twice. After that I think it needs to be turned way down to get the lion closer. This cat is convinced there is a bigger meaner new male lion messing with his territory.  The sound we make is so load it kind of sounds like Trantisoris rex.  Even if I was the biggest meanest king of the beasts I would think twice about attacking something that makes the kind of sound we make. Either way in the end we will try every level of noise we can make to see if we can trigger some response.


Africa day three of the hunt June 20th Monday


     The lion won last night. Trevor confidence crashed to a new low. He is convinced the cat is smarter than us. The lion caller had some problems early. The electronics have about 10 different wires that can be knocked loose or break so there is always something to fix. Trevor could not get a plug to work early for the amp but the lion called at us anyhow. Jonathan and I were  in the blind and we  tied a cow to a tree 30 yards from us.  Trevor ended up calling the lion and brought it up the road to us. The only problem was the lion walked behind the blind and roared for about a minute 10 yards from the blind. Sure sounded like he was going to visit the blind and I was ready for anything.  I had the safety off and the rifle pointed at the sound as if that would help. It's hard to imagine how load an animal like that can be. I think the canvas blind was shaking or vibrating from his roar.  Eventually the lion walked away but being the ultimate predator he is he decided to avoid the cow and walk in the brush 40 yards from our shooting lane. The lion stayed within 100 yards of us for 2 hours but he knew we were there and knew the cow was there and has now associated a tied up cow with light and pain. We are giving up on live bait and have decided the lion will never eat something tied up again. We told Sandy that if she tied up all her cows every night she would never lose one again. Time to pass the word around the community that tied up cows would not be hurt.


     Tomorrow we need new tactics. The road blind, tree blinds,  and whatever it takes to get him while walking down roads chasing the sound. My concern is that eventually he will figure out we are not a threat  and ignore the call altogether.. Then he wins.


      We talked about getting dogs to chase this lion. If we have not got him in three more days when we lose the moon the hunt will become much more difficult. The problem with dogs is that I think this lion will kill them all. We are not sure how we will get close enough to the lion in thick brush with lion and dogs flying around. This lion is not going to fight a pack of dogs out in an open field somewhere. When the lion is tracked he has shown he will back track in the thickest brush or make a large circle and come back to his tracks to see who is following him. I think he will just kill all the dogs one at a time. In the end I will buy the pack of dogs.


     The chase would have to be on foot after the dogs. Someone would likely get hurt. That one getting hurt would probably be me so it will be the last choice.  It still sounds like fun in a sick little way.


More later


Day 4 Tuesday

     I got up with Trevor at 7 am after going to bed at 3 in the morning gave up on the lion early tonight. He was losing interest in the call and just laid down about 200 yards from our blind and called a couple times. He did not follow Trevor and the truck and we did not want to screw things up this morning we redid the tree blind that was built on the first hunt and built a blind about 3/4 mile down the Piscotti  road where he was hanging around all day yesterday and where he walked down the road twice last night we are for the moment giving up using live cattle for bait. He did not want to even come close to a cow tied to a tree. the last time he approached a tied cow a light came on and he associates that with getting shot at and hurt the only thing we have going for us is that he walks down roads and doesnít like the idea of another lion in his territory so he follows the lion sound. That is his only weakness.

We are going to sleep between 2pm and 7pm tonight, have dinner or breakfast. than head out when the moon come up at 10 Pm   we never quite know what day it is or what time of day because we hunt when the lion hunts at night and during daylight we are either sleeping or on some mission.

The lion is getting smarter and smarter every day. This thing learns fast. We only have a few more days on this, than it is game over and we will never get him.


      We need to fix broken sound system before dark. We have electric power issues with the truck going to the amp mounted on the back of the cab.


      It is over the lion is dead, It happened by a fluke at 5:45 Am in the morning.


      We started called about 10:30 last night. We did not leave camp and pick up peter or Philemon until about 10, the moon was raising and we needed light to get the scope to work properly. The start of the night could not have been worst from the start. We could not get the lion to answer us. We knew he was getting smarter and smarter. If for any reason he did not answer us or quit walking the roads or just got sick of us the hunt was over and Sandy and the community cows would be eaten until this animal died of old age. The lion would not talk, roar and make any noise from 10:30 until about 1:30am, we drove about 10 miles down the picoted road as far as we had ever been from the catís normal hangout. At 1:30 after calling every 10 minutes and checking out all the hangouts this cat has visited Jonathan and Philemon said they heard a faint roar way off in the distance probably 5 miles for the farthest point we had been. I did not hear it but we decided not to give up, We did what was becoming our normal routine and drove as close as we could until we thought we were about where he called from and starting calling and driving and calling some more hoping he would follow the car, walk the road past a blind and allow us to blast him, Of course it wasnít that easy. We did not hear him again. By this time we did not know within 10 miles where the lion was, the sound carries a long way but without an answer we had no clue what to do. We talked about, giving up for the night at about 2:30. By that time my feeling was that I had enough sleep and would rather sleep in the bush and see if something happened, Bookie and I sat in the cab and Jonathan suggested we stay at a road junction where the lion had been on a couple previous nights for the night.


      Everyone would do the best they could to try to get some shut eye. Bookie and I would stay up and call every 15 minutes to try to get some response, Trevor lay down with blanket on the ground next to the car and Jonathan bundled up on the seat in back. Just before we were going to leave we played the call one last time. Trevor jumped up from sleeping and said he could hear a low rumble close, right in the middle of the call, sure enough the cat had come within 40 yards of the truck and lay down and was growling at us only while we were calling. He always stayed in the brush out of sight but close. We could not see him with night vision equipment ever. Trevor had never seen this cat even though the cat has been within 50 yards at least 60 times.10 nights hunting and 6 times each night Hoping he would follow us we took of down the road to our road blind, Jonathan and I bailed off get in the blind and waited, The lion became more vocal but instead of walking down the road he went in the bush about 100 yards from the road. It was quickly apparent the lion had that one figured out and probably watched us get into the blind and was not about to walk down the road to us. He roared just to let us know he knew we were there.


      We jumped in the truck and headed for our tree blind about 2 miles away, Jonathan and I jumped out

And started climbing the tree hoping the cat would chase the truck. Unfortunately the lion never crossed the road to the tree blind side, Trevor was going to drive past the tree blind and call about a mile down the road. The plan was for the lion to walk down the road under the blind giving us a 20-40 yard shot, we sat in the blind and froze our butts off, No lion. Trevor called every 15 minutes and the cat answered only once. From the same spot he was when Trevor was lying in the road. He just would not move we thought he just lost interest in the call on was going off on his marry way forever., WE talked about going to Kariba for a few days and coming back, We had a backup plan of bringing the caged lion from town out to help us raise hell., The guy that gave us the lion scent from Kwekwe has a two year old male that his wife raised from a kitten. He though it would work to put it in a cage and bring it out to the bush. If we played our caller his lion would roar back. With the two roars at one time this cat might change his pattern in the end Jonathan and Trevor decided to wait until daylight so we would not disrupt the area much, Trevor decided to play the  hyena calls for 15 minutes to just break up the routine. The lion had not answered us for a couple hours  and might have left the area and we thought if nothing else we would have fun with the hyenas, he called for about 40 minutes than just sat there until 5;45. We did not see or hear the cat the whole time Trevor decide to call one last time before he came to pick us up from the blind.


     Bookie had to go to the bathroom and Trevor and she walked about 40 yards from the truck. In hind sight that was not a good idea. The lion was close to his truck. No one had heard it for 3 hours but it was there. Trevorís sixth sense told him to get back to the truck as the lion was close.  


     Than it happened.  Jonathan and I  were very cold and anxious to get back to camp for breakfast and some sleep. The lion roared before Trevorís call was finished. He sounded like he was real close. We both looked down the road and this huge truck like animal was walking right towards us at 50 yards roaring. Every step he took he swayed his head which seemed about 10 inches.  I had the scope on him and did not want to shoot him in the head if i had another alternative. I kept the crossers between his eyes for about 20 feet than for some reason he turned and headed for the bush, in about 1/2 a second I shot. Maybe it was his sixth sense.  The lion roared, jumped and ran back down the road for about 10 yards and disappeared ion the brush. We heard him run for about 75 yards than everything went real quite.  We were about 25 feet up in a tree (he could not climb) and the shot was down. I hit him too far back but got lucky on the run and hit both arteries going to the kidneys.


 Tuesday morning continued


      Trevor said they heard the shot but could not believe we shot the lion they just assumed we shot a hyena or impala as it was about day light. The possibility of the lion being by our blind at daylight was zero.

I don't think they thought we actually shot the lion until they saw the blood. The follow up was interesting we drove down roads to make sure the cat had not crossed the roads while running away. I was sure of my shot but never the less we were not following the cat up until daylight where we had equal chance with the lion in case he was wounded. Trevor, Jonathan and I walked three abreast following the trackers who kind of started on the ground so we could shoot over their heads. We were about 4 feet apart with our rifles ready and safetyís off, we followed blood for about 40 yards with Trevor and I on the outside and Jonathan with his 458 iron sights in the middle.  If the cat came, the trackers were to hit the deck and the three of us were not supposed to miss. One weakness the lion has is that when he is wounded he roars when he comes at you. He wants you to know he is charging and makes Lots of noise. He should give us a couple seconds warning. This is as opposed to the leopard that waits until you are 5 feet away and then pounces with no noise. The leopard can get 5 of you at one time. The lion normally can get only one person.


     Fortunately the lion was dead at about 75 yards and we could see his body at the edge of the long grass. We spent about an hour taking pictures and rehashing the nightís events He was as big as the back of the pickup truck.  Best guess on weight was 500-550 lbs.


      To top off a perfect day Sandy needed an impala for camp meat. She was out of meat.

We saw a group of about 20 impala. I saw what I thought was young male in the brush at 100 yards. I put the crosswise on him and pulled the trigger. I was not sure where I was aiming but in the excitement I thought I made a good shot. We walked up and there was a dead impala young ram with high neck shot dead. I never said anything but I doubt it was the one I was shooting at. Sometimes luck works. I was kind of glad that shot was not at the lion. I kind of remember aiming at his chest.


     Tuesday night Jack Daniels night

     We never made it hyena hunting Sandy and Ken were here all night hearing the story.


     We are also looking for a klipspringer and a grysbok, caracal and a civet cat so we had an agenda if the story telling let up day or night.


Wednesday -June 22


     We spent most of the day sleeping and reading kind of a relaxing day recapping the Intelligence of the lion. If we had not gotten him the moment we did it was game over. He had us figured out. We decided in the 12 days and nights we hunted him he was probably watching us 50 hours or more he was within 100 yards of the truck at least 4 hours every night.  Trevor never saw him but he certainly saw us. I think I saw him four different times during the hunt for maybe one or two seconds each time.


     On the last night Trevor peed on the road. The Lion walked no  more than 10 feet from the truck and the tracks showed where the lion came up to smell  the spot and moved the dirt around probably marking the spot with his sent.


     Wednesday night we decided to call in a hyena it was the craziest 10 minutes I have spent in Africa. After calling in two different locations without a response we tried a place not too far from the spot we got the leopard.  Instantly a hyena came running out of the bush.  He literally, at full speed,  ran around the truck about 5 times, I thought he was going to bite the tires. He finally stopped  for a couple seconds and I shot. Game over and a nice size full grown male spotted hyena was down. The males are smaller than the female hyenaís . This is a good specimen. 


 On our way to Lake Kariba on the Zambezi River  for a day of exploring




     The  Camp on  Lake  Kariba was beautiful. Actually it  was in tiger bay about 2 hours by boat from the town of Kariba. Mono poles national park was on the south side of the river.  The hunting concession of Martin Peters was on the north side. The total hunting concession is 1.2 mil on hectors on east side of the river and another 1/2 million hectors  on the other side of a river with boundaries with the national park. The hippos were talking all night. Most of the night they sounded like there were maybe  five In the grass within 50 yards of the sleeping quarters.


     They were basically in the yard all night. The camp staff  had to shot one last year that kept threatening the customers. A  Spanish hunter and son showed up and they were the only clients in camp. They were hunting 2 elephants, 2 Cape buffalo and a hippo. We went tiger fishing with Mike early in the morning. We all caught Tiger fish and took some nice pictures.  We fished by A crocodile farm where there are 34,000 crocks being raised for skin and there meat. The game department only gives 2 crocks permits on the concessions hunting quota.  The biologist  estimate there is one crock for every 70 feet of shore line  and they have a couple hundred miles of shore line.  No one is sure why the quota is only two,  especially when there are places 50 miles inland with 5000 aces, no water and 5 crocks on quota. Only in Zimbabwe.


     Friday in our way back to Kwekwe and hyena hunting  we were stopped at a tsetse fly control road block  where a government employee walked  round the truck with a small 7 in net trying to catch flies. Kind was  a joke. There might have been  5 people could be working looking for flies.


Friday Saturday

     One more hyena in the bag Friday night. We called at a neighboring ranch that has had 28 cattle killed since December last year. I  shot one large male that came to the second call but the female mate ran up a hill and called at us for 20 minutes but would not come to the call. Those were the only two hyenasí we heard all night Saturday. We slept, packed up and left camp about 3pm. We are going to spend the night in Bulawayo at Jonathanís brotherís house. Off to Seattle and the real world of reality and markets Sunday.


     This Lion hunt probably will not be repeated any time soon. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to be a part of a hunt of a life time. This was the smartest predator that I have heard of since the lions in Ghost in the darkness of 1900 vintage. My family, Trevor and Jonathan Collet along with our Trackers Peter and Philemon were very grateful to have been a part of the ultimate predator hunt.  

Dedicated to Wildlife Conservation, Education, Humanitarian Efforts and Protecting our Hunting Heritage